Targeted Screening and Physical Therapy for Hemophilia Patients
The Joint Health Clinic at Indiana Hemophilia & Thrombosis Center (IHTC) specifically focuses on keeping joints healthy. This clinic is held at IHTC in Indianapolis as well as at our many outreach sites throughout the state of Indiana.
A visit to the Joint Health Clinic is typically much shorter than a comprehensive clinic appointment and includes a complete physician and physical therapy evaluation. Patients who benefit from this clinic include those on prophylaxis or immune tolerance and/or those who are experiencing multiple bleeding episodes in the same joint. Typical services offered at the Joint Health Clinic include:
- Review bleeding logs and/or bleeding history to determine if your current treatment is working
- Determine any problems affecting your ability to follow the treatment plan
- Use of laboratory evaluation (factor levels) to modify your infusion schedule/dose if needed
- Identify the need for additional medications and treatment to keep you healthy
- Determine the need for radiologic studies (MRI, X-Ray, Ultrasound) to evaluate joint health
- Identify early joint changes
- Discuss the connection between joint bleeding and joint disease
- Evaluate your body alignment and movement to identify anything that might put extra stress on joints
- Counsel on exercise/sports and maintaining an active lifestyle
- Develop home programs for joint strengthening/rehabilitation
- Determine the need for equipment such as splints, crutches, etc.
- Assess joints for problems with stability and function
- Complete an ultrasound assessment of joints—ankles, knees, and elbows—if needed
- Education plays an important role in the Joint Health Clinic. We work together to identify appropriate physical activities depending on your specific condition and lifestyle.